Places Around Florida Home PageMore Florida Pictures
Previous Image
Cape Canaveral Lighthouse - The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is 145 feet tall and contained a 1st Order Fresnel Lens.  It is visible for 18 miles.

Cape Canaveral Lighthouse

Previous Image Gallery Home Next Image
In 1847 a 60-foot brick lighthouse was built near the site of the current light. The light was too short and ineffective as an aid for mariners. Construction began on the current tower but had to be halted during the Civil War. It is said that the keeper removed the light apparatus and buried it in his orange grove. Construction resumed at the end of the war and was completed in 1868. The new tower was 145 feet tall and contained a 1st Order Fresnel Lens. It is visible for 18 miles. Shore erosion was a problem and by the 1880's the light was just 70 feet from the water. In 1892, relocation began on Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. It took 18 months to complete. In 1960 the light was automated. The lens was removed. It is on display at the Ponce de Leon Lighthouse museum. The light is an active aid to navigation but is not open to the public. Ownership of Cape Canaveral Lighthouse has been transferred from the Coast Guard to the United States Air Force.

More Pictures of Cape Canaveral Lighthouse »

More about Cape Canaveral Florida »

More about Cocoa Beach Florida »

More about Kennedy Space Center »

Next Image
  • La Cava del Tequila – Epcot's Tribute to Tequila in the Mexico Pavilion
  • Pennekamp State Park - Florida's Snorkeling and Diving Headquarters
  • Jungala at Busch Gardens - The Congo in Tampa Bay
  • Panhandle Beaches are Back
    Crystal green waters and white quartz sand beaches draw many people to what is affectionately called the 'Redneck Riviera'.
    Facebook Twitter
  • Home
  • Travel Blog
  • Beaches
  • About
  • Writers & Contributors
  • Contact
  • Site Map/Search
  • Advertise